列印

電漿暖機的注意事項

電漿暖機的注意事項

這篇 FAQ 寫了一些注意事項,是我這幾天暖機都沒注意到的,剛好有朋友寄給我,所以轉貼過來跟大家分享。
要比較注意的可能是以下幾項:

1. 記得關閉防烙印功能
2. 水平寬度設為 2,可以強制訊號以 100% Scan 輸出
以上設定不同訊源都要分別設定

QUICK UPDATE on GT50/VT50 D-Nice will get to them as soon as he can. If you have either of these sets, get the Disney WoW or DVE Blu-ray to suffice until the "real" settings are posted. Stop asking for VT50 and GT50 settings, it won't get them here any faster. Thanks.

In an attempt to keep this thread from becoming an absolute monster mega thread that was last years (over 3500 posts and counting), I will post here all questions posed that are of importance, or that have been asked multiple times on a continual basis to keep "spam" responses to a minimum. If you are reading this then you can consider yourself caught up in the thread. If your question hasn't been answered here, fire away! On a side note, for an in-depth FAQ that has many questions and answers from last years sets that apply to plasmas in general, take a look at the "2011" FAQ in my signature.

Alright, here we go. Do yourself (and the thread) a favor by reading the whole thing:

To begin, here is a spelled out guide for setup if you want to know exactly which buttons to press when doing the initial setup, credit to IanS:
i: Put the batteries in your remote, and hit the red 'power' button
This will take you through a couple of initial setup steps. Skip everything you can, as you can revisit this in the menu after you have done the prep.
ii:Turn the pixel orbiter off: Menu-->Setup-->Anti image retention-->Off. Thanks IceManKent!
iii: Plug your USB stick (or SD card), with the photos on it, into the side of the TV. If you used a Mac to put the photos on, see question 5 below.
iv: Press 'VIERA TOOLS' -> Media-Player -> Photos
This will show thumbnails of all the pictures on your USB stick
v: Now, press 'MENU' on your remote
Choose 'Picture' -> go in and make all the settings from post #1 up to the 'Slideshow Settings' (sometimes labeled 'Custom Settings')
This will apply the settings to the photos in your slideshow
When done press the 'RETURN' button on your remote
vi: Now press the red rectangular button under the 'R' on your remote
vii: Set the 'Slideshow Settings' from post #1
viii: Choose the top menu item here and press it to 'start slideshow'
ixi: wait for 4 days

And now for FAQ's:

IMPORTANT! D-Nice did not mention this in his original instructions. NOTE: This applies to normal viewing, NOT the prep slides. Depending on how your set is defaulted (and your TV's model), during normal viewing the pixel orbiter and HD size may cause small black bars around your picture (if using an HDMI input), ranging from 5 to 10 pixels wide on each side of the panel. This is because the pixel orbiter has no extra picture to use for the shifting, so it "cheats" by adding the bars to move the slides around the screen. If you want to have fully native 1080p with every pixel filled (and no orbiting), make sure to turn pixel orbiter OFF, and set the HD size to 2, which is the 100% scan. To turn the orbiter off - Menu --> Setup (wrench icon) --> Anti image retention --> pixel orbiter - off. It is worth noting that for content such as games with static HUD's, newscasts, and certain long sports (hockey, soccer, etc.), having the HD size set to 1, with the orbiter on may be beneficial to help avoid image retention.

ALSO IMPORTANT Apply settings to each input. Custom mode settings are separate for each input, and the media player is treated as a separate input.

One of the biggest ones that is asked is "I watched (insert amount of TV time here) before doing the prep/realizing my settings were wrong. Will my set turn out okay?"
--Short answer, it really depends. Long answer, Plasma TV's age in an inverse exponential curve, in that they age very fast in their early lifespan, but every day, it ages less and less. There's no cut-off point--but a generalization can be made that if you watched about 15-20 or so, if you change your slideshow settings and continue with the prep as planned (ending at 100 hours TOTAL viewing time, including your 15-20 hours), your set should be fine. Watched substantially more, say...50 hours? Then your result will probably not be the same as D-Nice's. That's not to say it will be bad, but as far as getting a very accurate picture, you're better off NOT asking for alternate settings on this forum (sorry, it'll clog up bad just like last year) and just either getting a calibration Blu-Ray, or getting a professional calibration.

1. Any reason the prep is 100 hours? Will I get any more benefit from doing more? 120, 150 hours?
Though in theory more prep would be better to evenly age your panel, every hour that you do the prep more/less than the recommended 100 hours gets you further away from D-Nice's calibrated result. You want to get as close to D-Nice's results as possible? Follow his instructions to a T.
2. What if I watched my set some before coming across this, is this prep still worth doing?
As mentioned above, the more hours you do not follow prep instructions, the more you'll age away from D-Nice's results. That said, you will most likely still get a lot of benefit if you watched TV for only 10 hours before starting the prep. Not so much if you have 70 hours on your set. Like many things, your mileage may vary.
3. When I look at my set up close, I'm seeing weird patterns of different colors at the pixel level. Is this something to be worried about?
This event is called dithering, sometimes referred to "pixel sparkle". It is a common trait of plasma TVs. This is why general advice is to not sit within 3 feet of your set when gaming. Also, sitting that close melts your brain, remember?
4. I have a non-American model Panasonic plasma, is there, or will there be a "D-Nice" calibration for my set?
As was the case with last years models, where D-Nice only calibrated the American sets, there will most likely be NO such calibration performed for these sets, sorry. That said, if there are ever any good settings posted in the thread for EU Panasonics, I will post them here in this space.
5. Why am I seeing an error message after each slide on the TV?
If you try to upload the slides to a USB/SD card on a Mac, it will initially not work, you have to format a flash drive. IF USING SNOW LEOPARD OR EARLIER, format the card/USB stick as PC (Fat) using Disk Utility. Download the slides from the first post of this string. Import the JPEGs into Aperture (iPhoto will work, too). Export the JPEGs from Aperture at full size to the flash drive. Pop the drive in the TV, and you're good to go. IF USING LION OR LATER, you need to download the utility CleanDisk and install it (click HERE). Then, credit to kevincastillo, follow these steps:
1. Launch the utility.
2. It will prompt you to select a folder/file/drive. Select the SD card or USB drive containing the prep slides (make sure those prep slides are on the root of the drive, not nested within a folder).
3. Hit ok.

The utility runs some background terminal commands to get rid of all "hidden" files (.DS_store, ._, .trashes). It's very bare bones, as it doesn’t even give you a confirmation. You just wait a second, eject the USB/SD card, and when you plug it back into your set, you'll find the hidden files gone, with only the prep slides remaining.

6. Are D-Nice's settings compatible across sets? For instance, could the ST50 settings be used on my UT50?
There is no free lunch, each of the Panasonic models are completely different TVs. D-Nice will post calibrations of other models when he does them.
7. Is it safe to leave the TV on for 100 hours straight?
You can leave your TV on for 100 hours straight, just make sure that your set has adequate ventilation. This means that if you have it set up in an enclosed home theater, it would help to turn it off for an hour or two each day to safeguard against overheating. If you would rather get it done quicker, than place a good table top fan pointing at the screen and leave it blowing. This helped tremendously in my case.
8. My settings in the slideshow are different than D-Nice listed?
If you change the picture settings before panel prep on the standard TV mode, such as while your basic cable is playing, you aren't adjusting the right settings. You need to go into the Photo settings first (after accessing Media Player in Viera Tools, then photos), where the slides are displayed as thumbnails on the screen, THEN change the settings. If your menu is any different than D-Nice's instructions, you're probably in the wrong menu. Double check after the slideshow starts (by navigating to the picture menu) that all the settings have been applied.
9. Can I leave the plastic film on the bezel until panel prep is complete to check for defects (makes it easier to return)?
NO! For an unknown reason, leaving the plastic covers on actually adversely affects the panel prep process, causing uneven aging where the plastic overlapped above the screen. Remove the plastic as soon as you plug the TV up. It happened to me, don't let it happen to you!
10. Do you have any tips on how to safely avoid burn-in and image retention?
Yes, take a look at this site, and take special note on watching widescreen content in the first 1000 hours, limit it to 20% of total viewing time: Plasma Burn-In and how to prevent it
11. So about Image Retention vulnerability with all plasmas in the first 1000 hours, is there anything I can do?
Thankfully, yes. To put it simply however, common sense when watching TV will keep you from image burn in (irreversible) and retention (temporary), as listed in question 10. But if you start getting image retention after watching too many movies or sports/newscasts, there is an easy fix. Since the prep slides are balanced, full-screen content, if you run them at D-Nice's POST-PREP SETTINGS, they can act as a great anti-image retention tool, much more so than the scrolling whitewash bar function built into your TV. I and many others have used it extensively to get rid of basic retention after a long day of non-balanced TV (4-5 hours), running the slides around an hour or two is all it takes. If you do more, it will help you get to the general 1000 hour mark on your set.
12. Are plasma TVs good for gaming? What advantage do they have over LCD/LEDs? Should I use game mode?
In the same league as CRTs, Plasma TVs are currently the most responsive monitors you can get on the market. Panasonic plasmas have a .001 ms response time. Essentially that is instantaneous. The best LCDs out there have 2-5ms response time. In general it would feel pretty snappy, but when you compare the two you can feel a difference, the plasma will always be better.
Unless you are a pro gamer who demands the best response time, game mode is not for you. Colors/contrast/gamma are all off, and no amount of adjusting that I could do could fix this. Everything seemed to just have shades that looked like burnt neon colors. Lucky for you, most of D-Nice's settings have all the picture enhancers turned off, which speeds up performance, to where it is just a tad less responsive than game mode. If you compare them side by side multiple times you can feel a difference, but I would personally take the advantage of perfect picture with a small disadvantage of response time (seems like it may be 10-20 ms) over game mode any day. If you game a lot, you will become accustomed to the small "lag" in no time.
13. Crap! I put in D-Nice's prep settings under the main menu instead of the photo settings and ran through the entire prep, what now?
The bad news, D-Nice's post settings will not really apply to you as a "perfect calibration".
The good news, his settings may actually suffice, and if you still aren't satisfied, pick up a copy of a calibration blu-ray such as Disney's WoW or Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics and doing a simple calibration yourself.
14. I am trying to adjust the 3:2 pulldown setting as per D-Nice's settings list, and it is greyed out. What's going on?
There are specific settings in these TVs that are only accessible when they are being fed the correct type of signal. For instance, the 3:2 pulldown setting is used only when the set is displaying interlaced content, such as 1080i; when progressive signals are fed through, this setting is unused, so it is not selectable.
15. On my computer, the white slides are white. When I run the slides in the slideshow on the TV, they are a light grey. What is going on?
Plasma TVs use a lot of power as is. A white pixel is one that is completely activated. When a plasma tries to drive all 2 million+ pixels at maximum, the set can't handle it and only shows a bright grey. No worries, this is normal, and was corrected for in D-Nice's settings. When you see whites in normal content (where they don't take up the whole screen), they will appear white, not grey.
16. I have just set up my TV. Should I update the firmware that the TV is prompting me to do? Won't that affect D-Nice's settings?
Most all firmware updates that are distributed through the TV (i.e. the ones the TV prompts you to download) update minor things such as the user interface and overall controls. The few updates (such as last year's fluctuating brightness update) that DO affect the panel are typically distributed either online via the user (in this case, YOU) downloading it from their computer onto a jump drive and plugging it into the TV, or having a Panasonic rep come out to update it for you. So yes, in-TV updates? Go for it. Computer-downloaded updates? Wait until after the prep.

Alternate ST50 Settings
Credit to badasscat:
Contrast: 76
Brightness: 56
Color temp: normal
Color: 50
Tint: -1
White balance: all zeroed out
Gamma: 2.2
More questions to come as they crop up!

[ 本文最後由 vixyao 於 2012-9-16 00:35 編輯 ]

以上兩點都沒做到...

用小建大暖機檔已經run快一個禮拜 :D

防烙印要關 是怕有些pixel沒作用到?

[ 本文最後由 momoisacow 於 2012-9-16 02:52 編輯 ]

引用:
原文由 momoisacow 於 2012-9-16 02:47 發表
以上兩點都沒做到...

用小建大暖機檔已經run快一個禮拜 :D

防烙印要關 是怕有些pixel沒作用到?
就這篇的說法,是因為防烙印的方式會需要一些螢幕四周的些許 pixel 來預留抖動的 buffer,所以如果以上兩點沒處理,就可能會導致某些像素沒暖機到。
不過,這篇FAQ寫得太不適合一般家庭使用,哪有可能電視搬回家,連續五天不看?(100小時連續開著跑圖檔)而我之前做的功課,有的說法只是連續跑150小時,不管是看高畫質影片、圖檔、卡通片、Discovery等,只要不是跑會留邊或是 4:3,或是台標浮水印過於明顯又長時間觀看即可。

另外,暖機圖檔還是要備著,因為這對清除烙印也有幫助。如果暖機作業完成之後,不注意還是讓電視留下烙印,用這暖機圖檔連續跑個一小時左右也有清除烙印的功效。

謝謝分享
非常有用的資訊
上禮拜六到貨後,今天算是暖了三天,發現我還沒關閉防烙印的功能
今天回家記得關閉再暖

板大~請教一個問題
我是將暖機檔放在SD卡中去做
但是在圖片介面下進階選單中沒有關閉烙印&水平寬度的功能
是否意味要用USB介面來做暖機呢??

引用:
原文由 Hiroyshi 於 2012-11-20 21:23 發表
板大~請教一個問題
我是將暖機檔放在SD卡中去做
但是在圖片介面下進階選單中沒有關閉烙印&水平寬度的功能
是否意味要用USB介面來做暖機呢??
我是用USB隨身碟,也是沒有關閉防烙印的選項功能,水平寬度你要打開進階選項設定喔

引用:
原文由 KOJIMALUNG 於 2012-11-20 22:18 發表

我是用USB隨身碟,也是沒有關閉防烙印的選項功能,水平寬度你要打開進階選項設定喔
Hi KOJIMALUNG大~
可否指導一下怎麼開~我看了說明書還是不解~~感恩!!

引用:
原文由 Hiroyshi 於 2012-11-20 23:48 發表

Hi KOJIMALUNG大~
可否指導一下怎麼開~我看了說明書還是不解~~感恩!!
抱歉,是我記錯了,我用USB隨身碟也不能。

引用:
原文由 KOJIMALUNG 於 2012-11-21 01:56 發表

抱歉,是我記錯了,我用USB隨身碟也不能。
說明書P38 水平寬度設定-->適用於電視.AV.HDMI 輸入
看來是無解了
我就繼續用原本的設定去暖機巴

應該是說,如果暖機過程中間會看電視的,記得把防烙印相關的選項關掉,這樣你看電視的同時也能協助暖機。
不過,我也被這些選項搞的暈頭轉向,有些模式有,有些模式沒有,有的需要打開進階選項,而有的選項是美規有,台規沒有.......